Sunday, January 4, 2009

It's a New Year - Play With Me!

2009 is a brand new year with a few resolutions that I've made. One of the things I want to do in 2009 is to blog with some regularity. Yes, with everything else I've got going on, I did pick this up during 2008, but I love it. Writing is such a release and it soothes me. What a better way to start this writing than with a great meme picked up from my Disney friend Jo-Lynne over at Musings of a Housewife! Leave a comment and a link below if you play along----

1. What did you do in 2008 that you had never done before?

I went on two trips by myself relating to the website I started in 2006. These trips were important to me because as someone who has total anxiety of doing things with no one I know, I took these trips with groups of women I had never met before. Definitely major.

2. Did you keep your new years resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't think I made any resolutions last year, other than probably to go to the gym, which I don't think I did once during 2008.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes, a bunch of friends had babies this year, and my best friend had her second baby!

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Unfortunately yes. You can read all about Bill here. We really, really miss him.

5. What countries did you visit?

None outside of the USA, unless you count my visit to Epcot where I visited a boatload of countries in a few hours!

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

More patience with my kids. And an incredible business year.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

May 30th when we went away for a night with great friends and saw Billy Joel in concert at Mohegan Sun, and May 31, the night that my father in law passed away.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Being asked to be a part of some great events like the Mommy Blogger Mixer at Disney, the Not In My House launch and the Mommy Blogger Monologues.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Not having the patience to keep my cool and not yell at my kids. I'm a huge yeller, something I'm trying really, really hard to work on.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I almost broke my hand in February when I tripped over my husband's foot and went flying into the pole holding up our granite countertop. About a week later, I wound up with the flu and spent 5 days in bed. Probably the longest and most exhausting 2 weeks of my life. Thinking about them now is still horrendous.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

For Mother's Day, my husband had been listening to me and bought me a MacBook, which I exchanged for an iMac which I LOVE LOVE LOVE. Oh, and the Wii, of course!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Not my 6 year old's - he seems to be unlearning the art of listening.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

A few people who I thought were amazing friends disappointed me this year. It's pretty unfortunate.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Seriously, it's almost embarrassing to say but I really have no idea. It seems to go out faster than it comes in. Maybe our mortgage. Or ridiculous real estate taxes. Or income taxes. Or my kids as they SUCK the money right out of our bank account? I could keep going but I'll spare myself that pain.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

(Sorry Jo-Lynne but I had to steal your answer here...) Getting asked to go to Disney World with Maria Bailey! That was SUCH a surprise and a treat.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?

This one I will have to think hard about.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?

a) I'm happier. My kids are doing great and enjoying school and I am thrilled with their schools, something that I couldn't say for most of the last three years.

b) Definitely fatter. In fact the lovely Wii Fit told me last night I gained 8.14 pounds since the last time I used it. Definitely not something I was wanting to hear.

c) Hmmm today definitely a little poorer since I walked out of my job. However, we're watching every single penny so it's probably for the best. And, 2009 is going to be a huge year for my website so hopefully the poorer part won't last too much longer. (See, already thinking positively!)

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Spending more quality time with my kids and husband.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Yelling. Yup, definitely yelling.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

Christmas Day we did what the entire Jewish population in New York did - went to the movies in the morning and Chinese food for dinner.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?

With so many ideas. The idea of working for myself. The idea of becoming a huge success. The idea of helping people.

23. What was your favorite TV program?

A much easier question would be my LEAST favorite TV program. Most favorite? Lots to choose from. Grey's Anatomy is sort of jumping the shark, but I do love Private Practice, The Ghost Whisperer and a whole host of reality tv shows including The Biggest Loser and a love/hate relationship with The Bachelorette.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

I wouldn't say hate exactly, but there have been some relationship changes during this past year.

25. What was the best book you read?

Twilight, for sure. I didn't get to read that much this year but this one stands out.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?

The Dixie Chicks. I'm generally not a huge fan of country music but I think these chicks are awesome.

27. What did you want and get?

Lots of love and support from my family.

28. What did you want and not get?

To win the lottery. A few million bucks could definitely help us out.

29. What was your favorite film this year?

Unfortunately most of the films I saw this year were for the 5 and under crowd. I did though see Twlight (which totally stunk) and Sex and the City, which I loved, so I'll go with that.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

On my birthday, we went for a sushi dinner (without the kids) and then came home for cake with our family. It was nice and simple and fun, exactly what I wanted.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

I would have liked to have been working for myself the whole year and growing my business. I feel like I didn't have enough time to devote this year so certain aspects of the business suffered. 2009 is going to be the big year for that.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

Very casual and comfortable. Like I love wearing cute sweatpants & hoodies or leggings and a shirt.

32. What kept you sane?

My husband's understanding of my need for alone time at certain times.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I'll go with Patrick Dempsey. Even though every time I see his face I think of You Can't Buy Me Love, I still think he's totally hot.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?

The whole election, of course.

36. Who did you miss?

My grandma. She passed away March 2, 2002 and never got to meet either of my kids. I think she would get such a kick out of them, it makes me sad alot of the time.

37. Who was the best new person you met?

My mommy blogger friends. I never knew any group of women to be so amazing and inspiring. They come from different places with different experiences but are so strong and ridiculously awesome.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.

People are not always what they seem. Its' a hard and sad lesson, but absolutely true. I've learned who my friends are and who they aren't and what types of people I want to surround myself with.

Okay, YOUR turn!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome post! I loved adding another year of friendship to your continued bond. You are a very special person and my 2008 was better because you were in it (in person!)Twice in fact.

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics